Monday, June 07, 2010

ON BOARD "LA JOYA DEL PACÍFICO" ACROSS THE BOLIVIAN CHACO.


The "Jewel of the Pacific" was the name of the Volvo F-12 truck I hitched a ride with from Tarija to Entre Ríos. It was my first long ride in Bolivia, a ride that proved me that not all drivers in Bolivia ask for money. On the contrary, this was one of the most amazing rides of my life. Overnight, I slpet inside the cargo of the truck, that was taking 10 tons of bottles of Coca Cola. Just in case I get thirsty...



Guido, the driver, was worthy of the interview I accomplish during the long ride. He had studied Engineering in Argentina but forced to quit due to his political activities during the 1976-1983 dictatorship. He then came back to Bolivia where he was also doomed to hide from the local military, so he stayed in a monastery disguised as priest for two years!




Landscape from the truck's cabin.



We have breakfast in Entre Rios town, and I am on my own again, ready to take an almost invisible, dirty road and explore the back country.

No comments: